If you are looking for a home improvement contractor then you have to find the one that is right for your home. You should remember to do your research, compare prices and of course to follow these six steps to choosing the right home improvement contractor.
1. Check References and Reviews – It is important to get an outside opinion on your contractor before you hire them. Try asking for references and checking sites such as Yelp for reviews from people who have hired the company in the past. Another great idea is to check the contractor out on Google Places to confirm that they are a real business and to check any reviews that might be there. Knowing what other people have to say about a home improvement contractor can help you make the right choice when it comes to choosing your own.
You can see our own Nationwide Window reviews here.
2. BBB Rating – The Better Business Bureau offers a comprehensive rating of many businesses across the United States. They resolve to rate businesses in order to help customers make a good decision when hiring a contractor. The Better Business Bureau rates businesses based on 16 factors including length of time in business, background information, response to complaints, reviews, and resolution of any problems. It is important to check out the BBB rating of a home improvement contractor because it can save you a lot of trouble if you know from the start that the contractor has a bad rating.
3. Request A Free Estimate – Many home improvement contractors offer free estimates. If the contract does not offer an estimate, then you should probably consider finding one who does. A free estimate is a great way to meet your contractor in person while getting a free estimate on how much the final project will cost. This is great for both your peace of mind and your pocket3!
4. Check Their Recent Work – Most contractors will upload photos of their recent projects. This means that you can easily find before and after photo galleries so that you can see how well the contractor works and what they can do.
5. Partners – A contractors partners are who they work with. It’s always a good idea to see what partners your prospective contractor is associated with to help effectively gauge their credibility and professionalism.
6. Confirm Insurance - You wouldn’t drive a car without insurance and neither should you hire a contractor without. If something goes wrong you have to know that they have the insurance to cover the full cost of replacement or repair.
These 6 steps to choosing the right contractor are easy enough and most of the information can usually be found within a few minutes of checking online. Remember that your home contractor should offer a warranty and that it should be a lifetime warranty rather than a limited warranty. You want the best for your home which is why you should choose your home improvement contractor carefully.